How to add the Speech Synthesis Settings robot skill
- Load the most recent release of ARC (Get ARC).
- Press the Project tab from the top menu bar in ARC.
- Press Add Robot Skill from the button ribbon bar in ARC.
- Choose the Audio category tab.
- Press the Speech Synthesis Settings icon to add the robot skill to your project.
Don't have a robot yet?
Follow the Getting Started Guide to build a robot and use the Speech Synthesis Settings robot skill.
How to use the Speech Synthesis Settings robot skillUse this skill to adjust the settings for spoken speech synthesis. This skill needs to be added to configure the voice settings.
You will need to add additional voices from third-party vendors to control some of these settings. Not all voices support the settings provided within this skill. For example, the native Microsoft Windows SAM voice will only use the speed settings, and not the gender, etc..
*Note: Speech Synthesis is a separate skill. Find it here.
1. Voice Drop-down
This drop-down contains a selection of installed voices.
2. Emaphsis Drop-down
This drop-down contains a selection of speech emphasis levels.
3. Rate Drop-down
This drop-down contains a selection of speech speeds.
4. Volume Slider
This slider sets the volume percentage for the text-to-speech output (1-100% range).
How to Use Speech Settings
1) Add the Speech Settings Skill to your ARC project (Project -> Add Skill -> Audio -> Speech Synthesis Settings).
2) Add the Speech Synthesis Skill to your ARC project (Project -> Add Skill -> Audio -> Speech Synthesis).
3) Select the settings you would like to output in the Speech Synthesis Setting skill.
4) Write/paste the desired text in the Speech Synthesis text field.
5) Press the Say (PC Speaker) or Say (EZ-B v4 Speaker) Button to listen to the text-to-speech.
*Note: In order to hear the speech out of the EZ-B v4 speaker you must be connected to the EZ-B.
Internal or external sound card on your computer attached to Speakers or an EZ-B I/O Controller.
Here's a community tutorial for using the speech synthesis in Windows 8.1: here
There are additional languages available also. Inexpensive languages can be downloaded for your operating system from http://www.cepstral.com/downloads/personal.php.
To access the additional hidden voices in Windows 10 please see the instructions from @EzAng in the comments of the Speech Synthesis skill here.
Breaking Out The Sound From The V4 Ezb
Hi all, EDIT: the below post has been changed to reflect changes to correct wrong information and show the successes I...
Cepstral Voice Effects
For anyone who uses, or wants to use "Cepstral" voices, you may be aware that they also supply sound effects with the...
Make Robot Talk
Demonstration how to use the Speech Synthesis Control to make your robot talk.
Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML)
This tutorial demonstrates how to modify speech synthesis in real-time within your text.
Tutorial On Fixing Voice Synthesis Problem With Windows 8.1...
This is a tutorial to help those of you having issues with speech synthesis working within EZ-Builder on a Windows 8.1...
Inconsistent Speed Speech Settings After Installing Cepstral...
After installing some Ceptral voices and adjusting some Windows settings, speech synthesis through ARC is suddenly much...
Use Voice Recognition For Unsupported Languages
I am working on a science project and I have had good contact with problems but there is one problem I cannot do well -...