The inverted pendulum skill is designed to be used with the Sainsmart v3 balance robot but technically you can use the Sainsmart hardware, combined with ARC, to balance any robot.
How to add the Inverted Pendulum robot skill
- Load the most recent release of ARC (Get ARC).
- Press the Project tab from the top menu bar in ARC.
- Press Add Robot Skill from the button ribbon bar in ARC.
- Choose the Movement Panels category tab.
- Press the Inverted Pendulum icon to add the robot skill to your project.
Don't have a robot yet?
Follow the Getting Started Guide to build a robot and use the Inverted Pendulum robot skill.
How to use the Inverted Pendulum robot skillThe inverted pendulum skill is designed to be used with the Sainsmart v3 balance robot but technically you can use the Sainsmart hardware, combined with ARC, to balance any robot. You'll just need some patience to tune the PID values. In order to use this skill you'll have to install the custom EZB firmware onto the Sainsmart robot's Arduino Mega and connect it to ARC.
1. PID Gain Value Sliders
These sliders adjust the proportional, integral, and derivative (Kp, Ki, and Kd) values that are used for the closed loop balancing algorithm.
2. Values Display & Update Realtime Checkbox
The Kp, Ki, and Kd values are displayed here as well as Omega, Angle, Distance, encoder values, angle offset, and speed values. The Checkbox is used for showing realtime values if needed.
3. Angle Correction Offset Slider
Correct the angle of your balancing robot with this slider.
4. Movement panel
This panel allows you to move the balancing robot, forward, reverse, left and right.
5. Calibrate Button
This button sends the Calibration command to the Arduino Mega.
6. Status Display
This displays communication between ARC and the Arduino Mega.
How to Use Inverted Pendulum
1) Download the EZB firmware onto the Sainsmart Balancing robot's Arduino Mega.
2) Add the Inverted Pendulum Skill to your ARC project (Project -> Add Skill -> Movement Panels -> Inverted Pendulum).
3) Connect the Arduino Mega's COM port to ARC with a USB cable or Bluetooth.
4) Push the Calibrate button then start adjusting the sliders in the Inverted Pendulum Skill until you have optimal balancing. Adjust Kp, then Kd, and then Ki. Note that Kp is a usually higher in value and Kd is a very low value.
You will have to program the EZB firmware onto the Arduino Mega, located on the hardware page, in order to use this skill.
The hardware for this skill can be found here: https://synthiam.com/Docs/Hardware/SainSmart-Balance-Robot
Here is the Inverted Pendulum firmware for the Arduino Mega: https://synthiam.com/uploads/imagesrc/EZ-Mega-v1_Balance_Robot-636848728401310251.zip
The tutorial for installing the EZB firmware onto an Arduino Mega is here: https://synthiam.com/Community/Tutorials/Connecting-Arduino-to-EZ-Builder-17526
*Note: This skill is in beta stages