Well, I've been at a standstill on this guy for months due to parts issues and time constraints.
Got the parts, got the time. So, with no further adieu...
Image #1 shows the aftermath of converting the head to being able to nod. I thought long and hard about how I could keep the original eye movement mechanism, but after long debate (and lack of a good solution), I went ahead and removed most of the stock material and, using a micro 9 oz. metal gear servo
, put a tube across the eyes and attached it to the top of the neck (modified to basically be a saddle for the tube). The servo
is mounted in the left eye socket, and fits quite well.
Image #2 show how I threaded the servo
wire down the neck and hid it in the structure...
Image #3 shows where the servo
wire comes out of the neck and goes through the rotation plate at the base.
Images #4 shows that this wire now wraps next to the neck rotation servo
mounted to a custom plate and uses the existing mounting holes.
You can also see that I have used those same micro servo
s for the arms. The good news is that with little grinding of material from the chassis, these servo
s fit quite well. The downside however is that unless these servo
s are under load, the weight of the arms (and head) tend to make them fall. I don't know how much of an issue this (yet...)
Image #5 shows how I was able to position the neck rotation servo
perfectly under the neck plate. This is cool because it makes the presence of the servo
invisible.(My Primary goal with all of the servo
Image #7 shows the head and neck in place on the top plate with wires.
Image #8 shows the placement of the "ping" sensor. As you can see, I chose an interior mount rather than an exterior mount. This works OK, but not great. I looks good, but the distance to impact and rotation from obsticle will need to be modified due to the fact that the window in object recognition is smaller than the width of the robot, therefore, if he doesn't stop and turn enough, early enough, his treds hit the object.
Image #9 is the camera mounted in the right socket. I would image this is the prototypical installation, so nothing to "see" here but to mention that I hard wired the camera.
Image #10 is, finally, the other side of the camera mount. I found it EXTREMELY challenging to finesse the camera circuitry into the head unit. In fact, having had to remove all of the mounting holes in the plastic, I'm not quite sure how to reassemble it : (
OK, that's it for this post. Next up is audio, and programming.